Fire and Security Apprenticeships in Plymouth
Please meet one of our team, Jamie Sibley. Jamie joined Universal Fire and Security in February 2013 at the age of 17 years old. He was initially employed as an apprentice following a successful 6 week work boot camp taster session. He was integrated into the installation team to learn all facets of the provision of fire and security systems to a variety of commercial, industrial and domestic premises.
Achievements and Qualifications
- 2014 Jamie was the youngest engineer in Devon to achieve BAFE Fire Extinguishing Qualifications
- 2013 BS5839 Part 1 2013 – Unit 1 Fire Detection Design
- 2013 BS5839 Part 4 2013 – Unit 4 Fire Detection System Installation and Testing
- 2013 TETRA Access Systems Levels 1 & 2
- 2013 CSCS Operative
- 2014 City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Electronic Security and Emergency Systems
- 2014 Paxton Access Ltd Net 2 Essential
- 2014 BAFE Theory & Practice of Servicing Portable Fire Extinguishers
During his apprenticeship Jamie received both worked based training and college training. He was assigned a mentor within the engineering team to assist in his growth. Jamie was assisted with driving lessons to enable him to pass his theory and practical tests.
Jamie is now a fully qualified engineer working as a Service Engineer for the company. He is a multi-disciplined engineer covering all types of servicing and fault finding. He has a designated service area covering parts of Plymouth and Cornwall.
‘My time at universal has been a great experience. Starting straight from college, my first real job. I’ve been here over 3 years and I have learnt so much. Going from an apprentice to a engineer with my own van, being able to complete jobs on my own and working independent is a great feeling. Making sure the customer is always happy is my priority as an engineer. I’ve come a long way and still got so much more to learn due the industry bringing out new products and upgrading exciting equipment’